In terms of listenership, revenue, and other metrics, the podcast industry has grown rapidly in the last decade. Similarly, counterfeiting of podcasts is on the rise. The podcast industry is faced with the same piracy issue as the movie and music industries did at one point. Disctopia incorporates the Podcast 2.0 Namespace and Lock and Funding tags to help podcasters grow.
What is the Podcast Index?
There are two parts to the Podcast Index, sometimes used interchangeably. There are also new variations floating around, so let’s start by explaining a bit of terminology and how we will use it.
Podcast 2.0 consists essentially of the grouping of tags developed by the Podcast Index team.
They are often grouped as Podcast 2.0. This is not to be confused with RSS 2.0, which is what Disctopia already delivers.
- Podcast 2.0 is being developed for everyone involved in podcasting.
- Namespace 2.0 is essentially a grouping of tags, and the Podcast Index is a new directory that uses them.
- At a later date, Disctopia plans to support most, if not all, of the Podcast 2.0 namespace tags in the interface.
With Podcast 2.0 Namespace, we can provide our podcasters with the security and safety they need for their creative work. At Disctopia, we believe that the Podcast Index is a robust solution for our podcasters’ revenue. It is relatively straightforward to implement Podcast 2.0 Namespace; podcast apps and sites are receiving a wealth of information directly in the RSS feed.
Disctopia will immediately be providing technical support for the “locked” and “funding” tags in the new Podcast 2.0 Namespace;
- Locked Tag: With the locked tag, you’ll be able to protect your podcast from being easily copied by podcast pirates. The locked feature will work two ways on Disctopia; we will not allow a locked podcast to be imported to Disctopia. You can also decide not to allow your podcast to be imported to other podcast hosts, social networks, and funding platforms.
- Funding Tag: We are also interested in seeing podcast listeners supporting their favorite podcast shows by making direct donations. Disctopia will allow a display link in your podcast metadata where your listeners can support your show with a donation.